Creating a Home Environment that Supports Your and Your Family's Health
Are you concerned about the well-being of your family?
Our homes are an extension of our bodies, an outer shell, and the quality of our environment has a direct influence on our state of well-being. Here are a couple of steps you can take to become more green and create a more healthy home:
To enhance your home environment, some simple tips:
- When replacing soft furnishings, take care to buy ones in fabrics that have not been chemically treated. Textiles used in the home are mostly treated with chemicals to either make them crease resistant (e.g. formaldehyde), contain residues from the dying process such a dioxins, or even traces of heavy metals in fabrics with a metallic element. These can release gases into the air which can be absorbed into our bodies. Children and small babies are particularly at risk. Be aware that some 'natural' fabrics may have been finished with a process involving chemical treatment.
- Most upholstery has to be treated with flame retardant chemicals, so unless your sofa is an older model the levels of toxicity may be pretty aggressive, If you are planning to recover any furniture, wool is one of the greener textile alternatives as it is naturally flame retardant. Chairs with removable seat pads under a certain size are exempt from having to be chemically treated, so it may be worth looking for vintage chairs with detachable cushion pads.
- If you are thinking of changing your carpet, be careful to avoid synthetic fibres or fibres that have been treated with pesticides or fungicides which can release considerable levels of toxic gases into the room
- Choose organic fabrics wherever possible
- Lots of fresh air and good light bring energy and feelings of optimism
- Remove things that fail to inspire you, making space for the things that do
- Look for fair trade and environmentally friendly products. You will feel good and your home will look good too
We are happy to send samples of organic cotton, linen and hemp fabric. Visit our Natural Organic Fabric Page for more information about the amazing qualities of hemp.